Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

I grew up in foster care.

 

As a foster care kid, I was against all odds to one day run for Congress.

I grew up in a foster home with nine black and white siblings. And I saw that, for some of my siblings, their trauma led them down dark paths.

My brother Jamal spent years abusing drugs, getting arrested, and landing in and out of jail. My brother Irish fell down a similar path, and is now serving life in prison.

But my adoptive parents did everything they could to provide for us and pave the way for success. Thanks to them, I was able to make my own path.

The help I received to defy the odds, inspired me to dedicate my life to public service. First as a civil rights lawyer and Constitutional Law professor, and now as a candidate for Congress.

There’s a reason you don’t see many foster kids elected to Congress.

The foster care system and poverty go hand in hand. My adoptive parents didn’t have wealthy friends who could connect me to the best schools, internships, and jobs.

So when I entered this race, I knew I wouldn't have the advantages that other elected leaders tend to have.

I knew I wouldn’t have access to wealthy, well-connected donors who fund the politicians in Washington.

I knew that the odds would still be stacked against me in this race. But thanks to grassroots supporters like you, this campaign has continued to defy the odds.


Let’s bring it home,

Jerry Dickinson

 

Emails like this are often the best way for us to stay in contact with supporters like you.

Paid for by the Dickinson for Congress Committee

Dickinson for Congress Committee
P.O. Box 5367
Pittsburgh, PA 15206-9998
United States





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Look Me In The Eye" | Lucas Kunce for Missouri

  Help Lucas Kunce defeat Josh Hawley in November: https://LucasKunce.com/chip-in/ Josh Hawley has been a proud leader in the fight to ...