Search This Blog

Friday, December 24, 2021

There was a miracle my last Christmas on death row

 


I was sitting there at the new jail. It snowed that Christmas, 1992. Mom passed away the next month. My mother always told me to watch for signs from God. She said you’ll see them in the smallest things. I was sitting there and it was coming down. The snow was going sideways. They had these long 6-inch wide windows in the new jail that you could roll open and shut. This bird curled up to the heat coming through the window. He stayed there all night. I sat there and talked to him. I got emotional, felt God. I made a wish with tears falling down my face and I realized in that moment that I was going to get out. I also understood that I was going to have to endure a large hardship, which was mom’s passing, but I was out by June.

I saw the bird and it made me go to the window. It was one of those black-capped chickadees, with a little black hat. He was a fat little joker. He was siting right there on the other side of an industrial screen but so close we could have kissed each other. He was just huddling from the weather. I guess we soothed each other somehow. I was sad because it was Christmas, I had just talked to mom and dad on the phone, and of course I wouldn’t see her again. She said to me “I’m not gonna be here when you get out. You’re gonna have to do it yourself. Just remember what I’ve told you.”

It was like the bird on a Christmas card. Like a natural Christmas card sent to me. Looking back on the metaphor of the whole thing - there I was in the midst of the storm asking God for help. It must have been 20 miles an hour wind. It was cold but I didn’t want to close the window. He stayed with me all night long. I felt better and then my mom passed away and the whole thing unraveled into my exoneration and release.

In the morning, I looked at where the bird had sat and I saw his footprints. It was magical. 

I have black-capped chickadees in my yard to this day. 

For all those still on death row today, we are hoping for the miracle of abolition as soon as possible. Miracles do happen.

 

 
 

Witness to Innocence is the only national organization in the United States composed of and led by exonerated death row survivors and their family members. Our mission is to abolish the death penalty by empowering our members to become effective leaders in the abolition movement. We actively challenge political leaders and the public to grapple with the reality of a fatally flawed criminal justice system that sends innocent people to death row. We also seek ways to support death row survivors and their loved ones as they confront the challenges of life after exoneration.


1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
215-519-4384
info@witnesstoinnocence.org
www.witnesstoinnocence.org





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Look Me In The Eye" | Lucas Kunce for Missouri

  Help Lucas Kunce defeat Josh Hawley in November: https://LucasKunce.com/chip-in/ Josh Hawley has been a proud leader in the fight to ...