Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2021

I thought I was the only one

 



 

Dear Friends of Witness to Innocence,

 

This is my first time writing to you. I’m a death row exoneree and I’ve just joined the Witness to Innocence staff as an administrative assistant. I was incarcerated for 24 years, 22 of those years on death row, and I never imagined that one day I would have a job working with Kirk Bloodsworth and other death row survivors fighting to end the death penalty. Kirk was actually the first person I heard of that was exonerated from death row. 

When I was sent to prison in 1991, it was beyond comprehension to me that an innocent person could be in prison at all, and even more unbelievable that you could be innocent on death row. I felt so alone. I was the only female on death row in Arizona at that time and I thought I was the only innocent person on death row.

In 1994, when I read about Kirk, I said “Oh my God! He was innocent. I’m not the only innocent person on death row! There are others like me.” I saved all the article clippings about Kirk. I showed them to my attorney and said “See, I’m not making this up! Innocent people do get convicted.”

Now all these years later, I’m actually working with Kirk and trying to help other people who are facing execution - people like Julius Jones and Rodney Reed who are fighting to prove their innocence. Recently there have been big ups and downs in their cases.

A Bastrop, TX judge declined to recommend a new trial for Rodney Reed, but the TX Court of Criminal Appeals could still grant Rodney a new trial. At a rally before the hearing this summer, Witness to Innocence member Juan Melendez actually got to speak to Rodney on the phone and let him know that we are out here fighting for him. I know how much it would have meant to me to know that there were death row exonerees out there who believed in me and were fighting for me. 

At the rally on November 13th, Herman Lindsey spoke alongside Julius' sister, Antoinette Jones, asking the governor to save Julius' life.

On the phone with Rodney Reed, Juan Melendez said, "You are just like me. You are going to be a miracle. You are going to be on this side just like I am."

In Julius Jones' case, the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board voted 3-1 to recommend commuting Julius' sentence. But the governor said nothing for two weeks! He waited until less than three hours before the scheduled execution to finally commute Julius' sentence to life without the possibility of parole.

The suffering to Julius and to his family during that torturous wait for word from the governor is something only those who have been through it can really understand. And that's why in the middle of that excruciating wait, three Witness to Innocence members, Herman Lindsey, Gary Drinkard, and Juan Melendez, flew to Oklahoma to stand side by side with Julius' family and to offer their support. The fight for Juilus' freedom continues and WTI will continue to be there with the Jones family. 

Please join me and Kirk and the other death row exonerees of Witness to Innocence in our work for all the people facing execution. We are fighting to end the death penalty and we need your help to keep going.

Will you make a donation to Witness to Innocence?

 

Sincerely,


Debra Milke

Administrative Assistant
Death Row Exoneree

Witness to Innocence is the only national organization in the United States composed of and led by exonerated death row survivors and their family members. Our mission is to abolish the death penalty by empowering our members to become effective leaders in the abolition movement. We actively challenge political leaders and the public to grapple with the reality of a fatally flawed criminal justice system that sends innocent people to death row. We also seek ways to support death row survivors and their loved ones as they confront the challenges of life after exoneration.

1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
215-519-4384
info@witnesstoinnocence.org
www.witnesstoinnocence.org





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Look Me In The Eye" | Lucas Kunce for Missouri

  Help Lucas Kunce defeat Josh Hawley in November: https://LucasKunce.com/chip-in/ Josh Hawley has been a proud leader in the fight to ...