Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2021

7 things about me

 

Charles Booker


We’re building a historic, grassroots campaign to replace Rand Paul, and it’s going to take every single one of us to win.

Ever since we announced that we’re running, many of you have joined this movement. And with so many new faces around, I wanted to send an email sharing who I am, why I’m running for Senate, and how we’re doing things differently.

After you’re done reading, I hope you'll chip in $7 or anything you can to help us reach our critical end-of-month fundraising goal. There’s only 7 days left before our deadline and every little bit counts for a grassroots funded campaign like ours.

Here are 7 things you should know:

1. I was born and raised in Louisville’s West End, one of the poorest ZIP codes in Kentucky. Both of my parents had to drop out of high school to help take care of my brothers and sisters. We sometimes had to go without heat in the winter or air conditioning in the summer. My mom often went without eating so that I could. These experiences inspired me to work in public service and fight for the change our communities urgently need.

2. I got involved in public service because I believed Kentuckians deserved better and that things could get better. I became the youngest Black legislator in Kentucky in 90 years. And all around me, I started seeing evidence that change is possible. I saw my grandparents open up their home to foster care. I saw my neighbors fighting back on the picket line. I saw my uncle become an advocate after my cousin’s murder.

3. Last year, I decided to take my fight for a better Kentucky to Mitch McConnell. We built a ground-breaking movement. Our neighbors from the hood to the holler rose up and together we showed the world that Kentucky is a battleground state.

4. I saw how hungry Kentuckians were for bold change in that election so shortly afterwards I founded Hood to the Holler — an organization focused on community engagement and breaking down the barriers that have prevented so many Kentuckians from participating in our election.

5. I’m a proud girl dad of three daughters. I want a future for them where the color of her skin doesn’t determine their chances of experiencing police violence. A future where they can breathe clean air, get a college education without going into crippling debt, and not know what it’s like to go to bed hungry. It’s a future we all want for our children.

6. I’m proud to support Medicare for All so we can finally transform our broken health care system. I nearly died three years ago because I couldn’t afford my insulin. At that time, I didn’t have enough money to take care of my girls, make sure they had food to eat, afford my medication, and make it to the next pay day. I don’t want anyone to ever have to feel that pain.

7. Finally, I’m running for Senate because the people of Kentucky are my family. My Grandad taught me that if someone disrespects one of us, they have disrespected all of us. I am running for Senate because I am sick and tired of seeing the lives of Kentuckians traded away for profit. We’ve been disrespected long enough.

Kentucky, the challenges we face are relentless, but I know the solution. It’s us.

Together, we can build a better, brighter future for everyone in our Commonwealth. The first step is replacing Rand Paul.

But it’s going to take hard work from all of us to defeat his corporate war chest and bring in bold new leadership to Kentucky.

If you’re ready to rise up in this fight, will you donate right now to our campaign? We rely on folks like you, reading and chipping into emails like this, to power our grassroots movement.


Let’s do this,

Charles


Paid for by Booker for Kentucky





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Look Me In The Eye" | Lucas Kunce for Missouri

  Help Lucas Kunce defeat Josh Hawley in November: https://LucasKunce.com/chip-in/ Josh Hawley has been a proud leader in the fight to ...